Thursday 4 November 2010

Memories

I was reading the other day about the demise of the Sony Walkman, the trailblazer for playing personalised portable music. When I was growing up I didn't really have the kind of funds to go as high-brow as that so I tended to end up with some cheap knock off from the local market that used four AA batteries rather than two - always a tell-tale sign. Back in the day, I used to religiously tape directly off the radio, trying to ensure that my 'mix tape' wasn't too badly interupted by commercials or inconsiderate DJs.

Well, a few weeks ago I was trawling through my brother's attic and I fell upon some of the tapes that I had put together all those years ago in the late 1980s or 1990s. It was a bit of jolt to the system. Did I really like some of that stuff? But it was songs and sounds that immediately and joyfully brought back memories that had been too easily buried beneath years of work, conformity and cynicism. Were they better days? Probably not. But it didn't really matter. The tapes threw into the mix so many vivid stories, good and less good. The fact that I was able to laugh at some of the more unfortunate memories just showed me that time really can be the great healer.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I was just talking with a friend the other day about high school, college, music festivals, psychedelic excursions, incredible travels and all the great stuff of youth...The times we considered the good old days. But then i figured ten years from now I'll be sitting with the same friend talking about how great 2010 was. Time is incredible like that. That's why the present moment is so important. Every single instant plays a role in our human experience.

    peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, Mellow. Live for today, dream of tomorrow and learn from yesterday...

    ReplyDelete