Thursday 27 August 2009

Be thankful for what you’ve got

There’s a saying that I once fell upon: “You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses.” Kind of cool in its thoughts on nature, but what’s that got to do with me, I hear you cry? Well, there are always things that we can obviously be happy about. Winning this or that, getting that date with that hot young thing, and so on. So what about the less good stuff? What about the really crap, nasty, rotten somethings that happen to you from time to time? Or maybe all the time?

Well, you could either wallow in your own messy existence. Or you could take a step back and smile. Smile at the rain, the noise, the hassle, the traffic, the pollution, the rude people, the smell. You’re alive. You’re there to make a difference. Don’t stand on the sideline being the armchair critic (that’s kind of mixing my metaphors, but you get my drift). Smile at the good and bad. There are so many people out there that would swap places with you in a heartbeat. Hell, you've even got internet. Remember that. Yeah, I no, I no – it’s easier said than done sometimes. But, hey, give it a try. The wallowing isn't really going to help raise you above the parapet. And you might even like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment