Monday 31 August 2009

Playing Games

It’s amazing what you can get up to with a little bit of imagination. Some time in the distant past I made up a game for myself. It’s quite simple. Close your eyes. After about 10 seconds open them again but pretend the “you” of 5 years ago, 10 years ago, whatever years ago, is the individual that is reopening the eyes. Now, look around and take in everything that’s all about you, as if you don’t have a clue (hopefully) where you are. Try and feel the surprise. Is the younger you shocked, surprised, bemused, impressed, disappointed, scared, wondering “why, just why?”. Is this picture the dream that you’d been dreaming about all those years ago? Is this picture exactly the same as all those years ago? What's that I'm watching on the television? Since when have I been playing the violin? Is that the sea I can see out of my window? Who is she/he laying next to me? No, we didn’t really get together, did we? Who would have thought…

It’s kind of a crazy game and it does spin the "visualising the future" principle on its head. But it’s a great way of looking at how you have moved on (even if you hadn't actually realised it), and you don’t need to pay a small fortune to a doctor’s couch to find that out either. You can’t go too far wrong with this game now, can you?

3 comments:

  1. I love it and I'm off to go do it now. Thanks for sharing that game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually happened to me this week when a cousin of mine contacted me via facebook...we have not seen each other since we were 14 yrs old- over 30 years now...it took me back... back to that long lazy summer in the safety of suburbia, to a Peter Frampton Concert in Montreal and to who I was ,a young woman full of dreams of the future...in a funny way...nothing has changed...Last month I actually bought a "Peter Frampton Live" CD...(my kids like it too), and though I am no longer what most would call young, I still carry hopes and dreams for the future...
    Ahh the past... ahh the future...it's all an illusion, I know, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see nothing has changed, R. McDonough. We've got to keep on dreaming otherwise we may as well give up on everything and just book the one-way ticket underground.

    ReplyDelete