Tuesday 22 December 2009

What a wonderful world

A slab of cheese and a heavy dose of schmaltz are par for the course at Christmas time. I’ve got to admit that the ending of films are brilliant at capturing a utopian ideal far removed from the stresses and strains of any Christmas that I’ve ever known. And I can’t say that I’m a great follower of the art form – the Christmas film art form, that is – but there are one or two that deserve a mention.

Okay, there’s “Love Actually”. I hated, absolutely hated, it with a passion, the first time I saw it, to the extent that I nearly walked out of the cinema. To this day I don’t know why it induced such an extreme emotion in me. Maybe it was the weather – having just spent over a year in Florida and too much time on the beach, the Odeon Holloway Road in North London was never going to cut the mustard on a bitterly grey December afternoon. Even Angelina Jolie wouldn’t have been able to shake me out of my mood (though I would have let her try hard). But over time, maybe in an effort to show my sensitive side to a young lady here or there, I decided to watch again. And before I knew it I was actually into the darn thing. And I still think it’s pretty cool.

Other than that there’s, well, “Die Hard”. Okay, it’s not a Christmas film in the conventional sense but it is set at Christmas. And Bruce is cool, so that’s alright by me. But the grande fromage of all Christmas films has to be “It’s a Wonderful Life”. I watched it again yesterday. I’ve probably seen it about 5 or 6 times now, I guess, but every time I see it the film leaves a warm and fuzzy feeling. The highs and lows of the human condition with James Stewart playing the lead. Exceptional. I’m no film critic but if you haven’t seen it yet and have 2 hours and 10 minutes to spare just watch it. "The Muppet Christmas Carol" it ain't. It’s a film for our time or any time. I'll spare you the Wikipedia moment and leave it to you to hunt it out but it’s one of my favourite films ever, Christmas or not. Wonderful.

5 comments:

  1. My favourite christmas film is 'Elf' - it really appeals to my sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha - I've never heard anyone admit to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have a fav Christmas Film... I do know that I have a least fav... (I am usually cast out of the Happy Holiday Folks for this), BUT I **ahem** do NOT like that lil annoying Ralphie and that bb gun movie! LOL I'm PROBABLY the ONLY person who doesn't like that movie, or at least the only I've heard to admit it... but I don't and I don't apologize for it! LOL

    I think Imma check out It's a Wonderful Life eventually, I've hear that title a few times in the last 2 or 3 days...

    Check me out at traumaadndrama.blogsopt.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a Wonderful Life is pretty good. I just watched it for the first time earlier today, and I must say it was very true to life.

    check out my blog at: anicolumba.blogspot.com
    it's a bit different... fictional short stories that come in series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Syraneous - I don't think I've seen the Ralphie film. Sounds like it's worth avoiding though.

    And I'll definitely be checking out the blogs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete