Friday 31 January 2020

Income Report: January

New year, new re-set.

Essentially, I've now switched to playing a long game to making additional income. It was great being transactional, picking up dollars here and there. But to meet my goal of trading less time for money I've been turning down some gigs in order to focus on longer-term business building.

Because of my longer-term focus, I've invested more time in learning. This month I've started the long road to learn some coding. Python, to be precise. I have no intention or expectation of becoming a coding expert. What I do realize, however, is that I need to add a few extra skills to my core offering in order to remain relevant.

I'm also continuing my learning about SEO, relevant in the development of my website. This is a slower slog than I was framing for a year ago. But hopefully, some of this upfront effort will put me on a firmer footing going forward.

My goal is to have a solid foundation in 2020. In the long term, I hope to be able to completely or substantially replace my current salary. But that's not reasonable thinking at the moment.

Still, I do know that I have to keep creating, keep experimenting and keep learning.

Anyway, so to start the year, it's been monumentally slow:

Resume Writing: $0. I turned down work on this front. At the moment I'm not ready to jump into this. That said, it will still be relevant to future income streams if possible

Additional Writing: $0.  Nope. Didn't look for any and wasn't approached.

Stock Dividends: $0.  It wasn't my month for getting paid any dividends. Still, it's an investment strategy that works. I'll keep investing and I'll keep picking up dividends.

Interest: $28. It ticks along but is never going to move the dial.

Ebooks: $4. Got a few sales late in the month on changing a few keywords on Amazon. I plan to add a few books to a new platform this month so we'll see what happens. (Beginner's Guide to Online Side HustlesCryptocurrency Job Hunting for Non-TechiesThe Simple Guide to a Winning LinkedIn Profile and Craft a Winning Resume).

Coaching: $0. No sessions. 

Other: $0. 

Total: $32. The only way is up. This is an all-time low. I probably made more on the interest front than I've recorded, to be fair. But it will hardly move the needle.

This is a year of building, however. My website. Using what I already have. Using what's worked well before. Looking for higher-paying writing gigs. Shaping a proper portfolio career. If I'm making  $32 on the side in a year's time I will be a bit bothered. For now, it's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment