Saturday 29 February 2020

Income Report: February

The coronavirus has been another one of those life wakeup calls. You see, I live in Asia, the ground zero of all of this craziness. Everyone's wearing masks, we've had panic buying in toilet roll, and paranoia is the order of the day

In years to come, we'll look back and think, "Why were we so worried about it all?" At least, that's what I'm hoping. I may not be an expert on viruses but what I do know is that people are looking at the ramifications of the COVID-19 spread.

Just talking to friends, there's a real sense that the fallout from all of this will be big job losses as companies cut back on investment and try to streamline their operations. Maybe the doom and gloom tone is slightly excessive here, but no one should be surprised if there's more pain to come.

So, my focus again is to make sure I don't rely on my day job. That's always been my goal. The portfolio career. And particularly one geared around online income. The coronavirus has just brought it back into focus.

I need to keep working on my site Finance Jobs Hunt, attract more writing gigs and make sure I can monetize more online. I need to get more sophisticated about all of this: my philosophy, my business approach, and my use of technology.

In the meantime, in terms of this month:

Resume Writing: $0. Not on my list to advance just now. But I will return to it.

Additional Writing: $130.  I managed to get a regular writing gig through PeoplePerHour, which started in the middle of the month. It's all about the stock market. This should be a nice earner for me going forward.

Stock Dividends: $250.  Dividends are a cornerstone for me and I've generated a bit of income again during the month.  It's an investment strategy that works. I bought a few more exchange-traded funds this month that should help with dividend numbers over the coming years.

Interest: $28. It ticks along but is never going to move the dial.

Ebooks: $6. Just a little bit of traction in this once again. I've signed up for Feiyr.com so I will see whether I can get some momentum in a few of my books there (Beginner's Guide to Online Side HustlesCryptocurrency Job Hunting for Non-TechiesThe Simple Guide to a Winning LinkedIn Profile and Craft a Winning Resume).

Coaching: $0. No sessions.

Other: $0. 

Total: $414. February was a step up from January, which had been an all-time low. But ultimately I'm still playing the long game.

At the same time, I also realize that I need to accelerate some of my efforts, what with my thinking about the coronavirus. It's about working smarter. Leverage what I already have. Outsource where I can. Make sure I continue to move forward. Time to walk the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment