Saturday 7 February 2009

I want to be a pilot when I grow up

Well, we all have the dreams when we're young - to be this or that, to own something or other. But I started thinking about "being a pilot". Okay, I'm stretching this whole thing a tad to make a point, so bear with me. In actual fact,what I'm really getting at is how much of us live our life in "autopilot". And the thing about living in autopilot is that some of it works for us. Getting up at a certain time, brushing our teeth, having a shower, and basically doing things in a certain sequence without even having to think about it. It's how we tick, how we move to our groove.

But what about those other times? Those times that we've conditioned ourselves to act and react in specific ways in certain situations, which don't work for us, which we don't actually like? Well, it's all about being aware and taking control - aware of what's going on, how we are reacting and being able to take control of our responses. Yes, yes, yes, it's easier said then done. But it's about giving it a try and a little bit of practice. Okay, a lot of practice. But before you know it you'll be doing it in autopilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment