Monday 18 May 2009

Looking into the future

I was muddling through my emails a little earlier today and fell upon a message from FutureMe. Or rather it was a message from myself to me.

About five years or so ago a friend introduced me to the wonderful Future Me website. In a nutshell, the site allows you to compose a letter to yourself which then gets sent out at a later date specified by you. You can write whatever takes your fancy - I prayer that the new rather dashing chap in accounts finally notices you; a rave about how incredibly happy you are at this moment in time and wondering whether your new fly-fishing hobby will still be the love of your life in a year's time; a rant about taxation; or maybe some real or metaphorical shopping list that you want to have completed within a certain timeframe. Do what you want. You're the only one that's going to read it. Bottom line, it's little old you from weeks, months, years back talking to the older you today.

It's like a message from a time capsule, where someone that really, really knows you well (in fact, better than anyone else in the world) has chosen to disclose everything to you. So treat yourself to a message for your birthday, for New Year's Eve or, better still, some absolutely random day in the year. Then you can say: "It's so good hearing from you..."

2 comments:

  1. Oh that's such a great idea! I'm going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear - I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete