Tuesday 20 January 2009

Today's the day

It's Inauguration Day for the 44th President of the United States of America. I'm just one small observer amongst the many millions or billions around the world acknowledging an historic and quite amazing day in the life of the US. Thousands upon thousands of words have been written on the subject by far more learned and sophisticated individuals than myself. And in a way I'm not sure what added value that my input could provide. All I can really say is that I feel truly blessed to be around to see such a day in my life time. Future generations may not truly understand the magnitude of President-elect Barack Obama's achievement. But previous generations that found hope through civil rights symbols such as Martin Luther King or Rosa Parks will fully appreciate the sacrifices that many individuals had to take simply for the right to equality. One man's dream has become another man's reality. Even if this current period of the coming together of peoples, races and ideologies is just fleeting, the US now realises the possibilities. For all the ills in this world, today at least we can say "well done America".