Monday 19 January 2009

Trying out the edam

Many years ago, when my kid sister was about five years old she decided one day that she hated cheese. Absolutely hated the sight of it and couldn’t eat the stuff. This lasted for quite a while – about five years I think - until one day she tried it again. Suddenly she realised that she actually quite liked the stuff. The thing is, when she’d taken her very first bite of edam, she didn’t just bite into the yellowy cheesy bit. No, for some daft reason she bit into the red plasticy outer casing. As I was a huge fan of cheese I knew it was in my interests not to correct her, and instead enjoyed the benefits of her bogey food. I was thinking about this episode and how it kind of relates to real life still now. There are probably loads of “things”, whether that relates to situations or activities or memories, that are misshaped by first impressions. Sometimes we’ve got to realise that over time we change, the situation changes or, as in this case, we didn’t get it right in the first place. So I guess it’s time for me to go back and check out some of my own edam moments of the past.